D.C. Dictionary: The Diner Slang Dictionary
Random Diner Slang
Displaying 1 - 10 out of 10 results
- Hounds on an Island:
- franks and beans
- Flowing Mississippi:
- a black coffee -Synonyms: Draw one in the Dark
- Eve with a lid on:
- apple pie, referring to the biblical Eve's tempting of Adam with an apple. The "lid" is the pie crust
- Radar Range:
- microwave oven, from the Amana Radarange, whose parent company, Raytheon, was the first to manufacture and market the microwave oven.
- bring items together for cleaning up, i.e. marry the salt and pepper.
- Coney Island chicken:
- a hot dog, so called because hot dogs were popularly associated with the stands on Coney Island. -Synonyms: Coney Island
- prunes, so called because of their supposed laxative effect.
- Alka Seltzer:
- seltzer, soda water -Synonyms: Balloon juice, Belch water
- Belch water:
- seltzer, soda water -Synonyms: Alka Seltzer, Balloon juice